What is the Trunk Light Bulb all about?
The trunk is an enclosed space where you are able to store or transport your possessions. As it is a secured place, natural light does not illuminate the trunk compartment. The light bulb or bulbs that illuminates the trunk is controlled by a switch that is either mounted to the trunk lid, indicating its position based on the position of the trunk lid, or is located in the trunk latch.The trunk and its contents are then visible for you to insert or remove items. The trunk bulb turns off again when the trunk lid is closed.
Keep in mind:
- The trunk light only turns on when the trunk is open. Accessing the trunk through a rear seat pass-through will not turn the trunk light on.
- The trunk light may be equipped with an override switch to shut it off. Check to make sure the override switch in the trunk hasn’t been accidentally bumped or turned off.
- A loose bulb filament can cause intermittent trunk light operation; replacing the bulb should fix the problem.
How it's done:
- The trunk light is verified to be inoperative
- The inside trunk light panel is removed and the inoperative bulb is removed and checked with an ohm meter
- The new trunk light bulb is installed
- The trunk light bulb panel is installed
- The trunk is opened and closed to check operation of the trunk light
If the trunk light bulb doesn’t illuminate when the trunk is opened or if the light illuminates only at times when the trunk lid is lifted, you may need to have the light bulb replaced.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Trunk Light Bulb?
- Trunk light bulb doesn’t illuminate when the trunk is opened
- Trunk light works intermittently when the trunk is opened
- Trunk light is glowing dimly
How important is this service?
The trunk light is a convenience item since not all vehicles are equipped with a trunk light bulb. It does, however, make inserting and removing the contents of your trunk much easier, especially in the dark or dimly lit environments. Have a burnt out trunk light bulb replaced at your earliest convenience.