What is the Wheel Seal all about?
Axle shafts rotate in bearings in order to operate with a minimum of friction and to bear the weight of the vehicle. They have to be lubricated and also need to be protected from dirt, debris, and grime. Grease catches and holds these contaminants, which then grind into the bearings, reducing lifespan significantly.
To prevent this from happening, and to retain grease within the bearing while the axle is turning at a high rate of speed, wheel seals are used. The wheel seal is pressed in place over the wheel bearing, allowing a pocket of lubricant to encapsulate the bearing. The axle shaft fits through the wheel bearing and the wheel seal fits snugly around the axle to create the pocket the grease sits in. The rubber lip on the wheel seal can weather and crack causing grease to leak. Also, dirt and debris can cause premature wear if they are in contact with the seal.
Keep in mind:
- The wheel seal has a rubber lip and will eventually wear or crack, which causes a leak.
- Check the condition of the wheel bearing and rubber when replacing the wheel seal.
How it's done:
- The vehicle is raised and supported on jack stands
- The wheel and hub are removed and the defective wheel seal is removed
- The new wheel seal is installed and the hub and wheel are reinstalled
- The vehicle is removed from the jack stands
- The vehicle is road tested for proper operation
Due to their location, wheel seals can be difficult to monitor and inspect. Have one of our expert mechanics ensure that your wheel bearing seals are in good shape and to take corrective action if damage or if a leak is spotted.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Wheel Seal?
- Grease or oil is leaking from the wheel seal
- Grinding or rumbling can be heard due to a leaked out wheel seal
- The ABS light comes on
How important is this service?
The wheel seal prevents dirt and debris from damaging your wheel bearing. If the wheel bearing becomes damaged, it can become unsafe to operate your vehicle. Have a leaking wheel seal replaced by one of our expert mechanics as soon as it is discovered.