What is an Oil Change service all about?
Engine oil is the lifeblood of the engine. The oil resides in the oil pan, which is under the car attached to the bottom of the engine. All internal (moving) parts of the engine need to be lubricated by the engine oil. Inadequate lubrication will cause the parts to wear out faster and eventually lead to engine failure. An oil filter keeps the oil clean and free of debris. If the filter is not replaced on a regular basis, it will get clogged and will not be able to pass oil into the engine.
Here is how it is done:
- Remove and replace engine oil and filter.
- Check the condition of all fluids.
- Perform basic safety inspection.
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks in the system.
- It is best to follow the maintenance schedule provided by the manufacturer (you can check your schedule in your YourMechanic profile).
- We recommend replacing the oil and filter every 5,000 miles or four months.
- Synthetic oil (versus regular) is cost effective. It’s lubrication properties are better and you will not need oil changes as frequently.
- If you notice any fluids in your driveway, you should get it inspected immediately.
- Do not drive your car with low engine oil. It can severely damage the engine.
What are the common symptoms for Change Oil and Filter?
- The amount of time since your last oil change exceeds the recommended miles.
- Maintenance light is on.
How important is this service?
Regular oil changes are generally considered the most important maintenance service for your car. To avoid severe engine damage, this simple, inexpensive service should be regularly scheduled.