Q: Stalls when hit gas

My hard body 4x4 will crank without hesitation and idles perfectly. But as soon as you touch the gas pedal it sputters and stalls. The same thing happens when you hit the rpms and let off the gas. Do you have any idea what’s happening? How can I fix this?

This sounds like it could possibly be a fuel-related problem for your 1991 Nissan Pickup. I would want to know what the fuel pressure is by testing with a gauge. I also recommend doing a compression test to verify good compression on all four cylinders. The timing chain may have jumped a couple teeth causing the can timing to be off. The chain tensioner is oil pressure driven. You need to check the marks between the crankshaft and the cam to be sure. If you need help with any of this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the stalling issue and make any appropriate adjustments or repairs.

3. Stalls when hit gas