Q: Car stalls after longer trips

My car has been stalling out almost every time I stop the car at the traffic light for instance. This happens only when I drive it for more than 50 minutes, otherwise it's fine. When this occurs, the car cannot start immediately, but takes a few tries to restart. The dashboard isn't showing any lights on. So, there are no warnings when this would happen. I can occasionally prevent the car from stalling if I apply the gas pedal or brake pedal in a certain way. I went to the shop, but they weren't able to diagnose the problem as they couldn't reproduce it. There are no trouble codes and the idle air intake checks out fine. Do you have any idea what might be wrong with my car?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity. There are numerous potential causes for your problem. One thing that comes to mind, however, is the ignition module. These are known for being problematic on your vehicle. The crankshaft sensor mounts right underneath the module and is known for being a common issue as well. There is a technical service bulletin on both of these items, number 88-285-6D. If I remember correctly, both of these items are located near the exhaust manifold and have a tendency to get hot. This can be a tricky issue to diagnose and repair, so I suggest you have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your stalling problem.