Q: Acceleration problems

asked by on July 31, 2017

My 99 nissan frontier lacks power runs rough cant drive it wont go over 30 mph replaced timming belt thermostat belt tentioner warerpump sparkplugs what do i do next is it 02 sencer or tps sensor crankshaft senser iddle air control valve dont have alot of money but need it running before replacing timming was driving it and pulled over it wouldnt go over 30 started smoking and engine wasglowing red hot passengerside side by o2 sensor what do i replace next

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like you may have a clogged or damaged catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When the catalytic converter is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.