Q: Why am I using so much oil?

asked by on October 29, 2015

My 2007 Toyota Camry LE uses over a quart of oil every 300 miles or so. Otherwise the car runs well. It has 75,000 miles on it. I have never found an oil leak beneath the car, and I've had the car for 7 years. The dealership said this is normal, but I'm tired of putting extra oil in between oil changes. What's going on and how can I fix it?

From the sound of this, it seems that your engine is indeed burning oil. In order to investigate where the missing oil is disappearing, I would recommend asking the Toyota dealership for an oil consumption test. An oil consumption test consists of draining the engine of the oil, replacing the oil filter and then topping off the engine with the proper type of oil. The oil level will be measured both before and after the vehicle is driven a determined number of miles, to verify the volume. Tamper seals are also used on the oil cap, drain plug, oil filter and dipstick for accurate results. This test is performed to confirm the complaint and Toyota will perform this test free of charge on your vehicle. Toyota is aware of an oil problem and, as of December 2014, they have released a campaign to extend your warranty to cover the cost of the repairs needed to address the excessive oil consumption. If this is indeed the problem with your car, the repair involves replacing the pistons and piston rings inside the engine. If you haven’t received a letter from Toyota addressing this concern, have your VIN handy and give your local Toyota dealership a call to see if your car is eligible. If your vehicle is eligible and you prefer to have this work performed by an independent mechanic, such as YourMechanic, this campaign allows you to be reimbursed for the repairs, provided you follow the warranty enhancement reimbursement checklist.