Q: When driving my car straight the steering wheel is still got play in it but what causes this?

When driving straight my car steering wheel rocks side to side giving lots of play what's the cause thank-you

Hi there. There are several things that can cause: tie rods, control arm bushings, tire balance, out of round tires, bent wheels, worn axles, failing wheel bearings. However, it seems like this could be a potential tire problem that I have seen several times. If the tire has developed a slipped/broken internal steel belt, then it can cause a wobble, vibration, pull, erratic steering concerns. Move the front tires to the back and see if the concern moves to the rear or seems to go away. If this is the case, then you have bad tires and I suggest replacing both of them as a pair. If this is not the case, then while the car is up, perform a visual and wiggle inspection of the suspension an steering and see if there is an obvious concern. If all is well with the steering and suspension, then the axle and/or bearing could be at fault. Inspecting the axles/ bearings as a possible cause for a wobble/vibration will take the experience and expertise of a qualified technician to properly diagnose. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car is shaking/vibrating inspection.

3. When driving my car straight the steering wheel is still got play in it but what causes this?