Q: I replaced my spark plugs, head gasket, water pump, radiator and radiator fan and my car still overheats.

asked by on September 12, 2017

I got my spark plugs replaced, water pump, radiator, radiator fan, and head gasket all replaced and my car still overheats when I either drive too fast and/or turn the air conditioning on. My last guess is to replace my thermostat, does that sound about right? I've had the car for 10 years now.

Thermostat Replacement $141.92 - $702.78 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a thermostat that could be stuck. As you know, the thermostat regulates the flow of the coolant in your car’s engine and controls when the coolant flows in and out of the motor from the radiator by opening and closing at specific temperatures. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. When the thermostat is stuck open it can cause the coolant to circulate constantly resulting in the motor never reaching the correct operating temperature. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr