Q: dealer tells me that the ECM damaged the throttle body. For $1,100 they are replacing both. Does that make sense?

Car was throwing tps codes. Replaced tps but problem soon came back. Took car to dealership for diagnostics. They called to say the throttle body was bad. They replaced TB only to have same problem. They now claim the the ECM damaged the TB and also needs to be replaced. Final bill $1,100. This does not seem likely to me. Need another opinion.

A: Hi there. From the description you have pro...

Hi there. From the description you have provided, the ECM (electronic control module) may have been the problem from the start. When the TPS (throttle position sensor) codes were stored in the computer. This would of been the time to perform the necessary circuit tests. It can occur, where one component takes out another. I won't say this is the case for your vehicle but, it is possible. There are tests to confirm the ECM has failed. I recommend having your vehicle's check engine light on be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician from YourMechanic, as well as provide a second opinion.