Q: What is causing this stalling problem - 1987 Chevrolet Nova

So I got this 87 nova im restoring yet it is my daily drive I'm having a problem with it that I can not figure out. The problem is that when ever I push in the clutch pedal to stop at stop sign or intersection it stalls out however if I just use the brake pedal then the clutch pedal it doesnt do it that often it idles fine runs fine but wont let me stop with out it stalling out ive rebuilt the carburetor as well as a new mechanical pump and fuel filter it has new plugs new wires and new air cleaner the problem started bout 3 months ago and I parked it then last time I had a similar problem I changed the main fuse box on batter and all new fuses and it stopped for about 4 months. Please help.

A: This is a problem that in most modern cars ...

This is a problem that in most modern cars is now solved with an idle air control module which regulates how the fuel and air is mixed at idle or when coming down to an idle from higher RPM's. In the case of older models such as yours, this is controlled by adjusting the idle mixture with a screw on the side of the carburetor. When you rebuilt the carburetor, this may have not been adjusted at that time. I would start by adjusting the carburetor to an appropriate idle mixture which should fix your issue. If you need help having this done, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose the stalling problem and assist with adjustments.