Q: Battery light is on and car has no power steering

asked by on February 22, 2016

The Battery light in my car is on and I have no power steering. The battery has been replaced, but the problem is still occurring.

Battery Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If the Battery Light is illuminated and the battery passes a load test, then you most likely have a faulty alternator; a charging system test would need to be performed to verify this. On the 2001 540i, the power steering uses a gearbox on the driver’s side, instead of a steering rack. It is common on these models for the power steering pressure hose, from the power steering pump to the gearbox, to be leaking at the fitting where the hose connects to the gearbox. This is a very difficult repair, as there is very little room to get to the banjo fitting in the power steering gear. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to your car’s location to run a diagnostic inspection of your Battery Light illumination issue, and suggest the best path to repair.