Q: Why isn't my car reading it's rpm?

It just started not reading it's rpm. Everything else seems fine. But I do need an oil change and probably an all around tune up. I'm a single mom though with very little savings.

Hi There, This could be related to a couple of possibilities. The [instrument voltage regulator]((https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/instrument-voltage-regulator-replacement) regulates the voltage supplied to the various gauges in your vehicle’s dash. When this is not working properly, this may cause the gauges in your dash to dim or flicker erratically or in some cases provide false readings.

This may also be caused by a faulty transmission speed sensor. The speed sensor reads the rotational speed of the reluctor wheel, located within the transmission. The speed sensor also controls the anti-lock braking system. Driving with a bad speed sensor usually causes the ABS to malfunction and can lead to loss of braking power and/or an accident. When this is not working properly, you may also notice the transmission hesitating to shift gears, erratic tachometer readings, the speedometer not working properly or the odometer not working properly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.