My car starts, but I cannot get it into gear. If I turn t...

Q: My car starts, but I cannot get it into gear. If I turn the car off I can out it into gear pretty easy.

asked by on July 29, 2017

I was driving to work and coasting in neutral, I then tried to put it back into gear but I was unable to put it into gear. I pulled over and turned it off and tried to get into gear and i was able to do so. FYI I just replaced my clutch master a few months ago and has fluid in it

It sounds like you may have a throwout bearing that is hanging up. When the car is not running, nothing within the transmission is spinning, thus it is possible to put the car in gear. With the engine running, there is too much friction in the throwout bearing, resulting in your inability to shift into gear.

You may need to replace the following: 1. Clutch 2. Pressure plate 3. Throwout bearing 4. Flush fluid through slave cylinder

If the slave cylinder fluid flush does not solve the issue after the clutch overhaul, a new slave cylinder should be considered next. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose and repair.