Q: P0174, P1004 codes

Started out with a very strong exhaust smell that lingured inside even with the windows rolled up even on the highway well then the car start losing acceleration and the CEL came on and now the car idles rough and still has acceleration problems at low speeds but seems to do better at high speeds Im getting codes p0174 and p1004

Hello.

From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is experiencing some sort of fuel or engine performance issues. Code P0174 is for an lean condition in engine bank 2. This can be caused by many things, however a few common causes are a bad fuel pump, a fuel injector issue. Code P1004 is for an issue with the short runner control valve assembly. This is a component installed in the intake manifold that controls the opening and closing of butterfly valves in the intake runners that are meant to increase low RPM performance. This code is set off when the computer detects an issue with the signal, perhaps due to a faulty unit. The two codes address different issues, but it may be possible that the two are related. As engine performance issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, perform a professional diagnosis of your trouble codes if you are unsure of the issue.

3. P0174, P1004 codes