Q: My car has a misfire on cylinder 5 and a ticking sound

asked by on October 28, 2016

I have a cel code says misfire on cyl. "5 Ign. Coil or spark plug I changed all spark plugs and wires to start with not the coil still running rough and sluggish and a ticking sound at about 1500 rpm stone ticking doesn't t seem to be coming from inside the motor would a bad coil make a ticking sound will the coil fix the problem

Ignition Coil Replacement $116.03 - $516.36 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Engine is misfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Oil level is low Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

A failing coil will generally not make a ticking sound, however a failing or intermittent coil may cause the motor to run sluggish a bit if the misfire continues to happen. As you may know, an ignition coil is made up of copper coil windings with an insulation wrapped around it. When this insulation begins to deteriorate, this can cause the copper wire to be exposed to tremendous heat and can sometimes cause the wire to short or not function properly resulting in the coil failing causing the misfire.

I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the truck to determine what may be causing the ticking sound and diagnose the misfire.

The noise may be potentially valve train noise in the event the engine is low on oil. When this happens, the ticking sound you may be hearing could be valve train parts touching metal on metal as a result of lack of oil lubrication.