Q: I started hearing like a scraping sound when I brake. What can be causing this?

I hear like a scraping sound when I brake. What can be causing this? I'm on a very tight budget now so I'm freaking out hoping it's nothing expensive

Scraping or grinding sounds when braking are usually caused by work brake pads or shoes. If the friction material on the brake pads is completely worn away, then the metal backings of the pads will make contact with the metal brake discs, causing a scraping or grinding sound. If that’s the case, then the brakes are not performing well at all and may not stop the vehicle safely. A complete brake inspection should be performed as soon as possible.

3. I started hearing like a scraping sound when I brake. What can be causing this?