Q: Bad crank sensor

My car has gone around 120,000 miles. At the dealership I was told that I have a bad crank sensor. It was supposedly caused by a broken fan, as a result of a rock being stuck in the alternator. I took the car to a mechanic I know and he told me there is a small likelihood of that happening. I'm reluctant to fix something that isn't necesssary, especially because it is not under warranty. How can I know for sure?

Hello. Just about anything is possible but it is unlikely. I have seen crank sensors go bad and cause many issues, but if you are not having any other issues then I think that it is unlikely. If I knew what the issues were with the car I could tell you for sure.

If you want a second opinion, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you home or office to diagnose and ]replace your crankshaft position sensor](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/crankshaft-position-sensor-replacement) if necessary.