Q: Truck stuck in 2nd gear (I believe), won't turn over, can't afford to bring it anywhere. Need help fast

2000 Ford Expedition. Short version of story. Drove fine on way to work, pulled into parking spot, and put it in park. Only when I let go of the brake after I turned it off, it started to roll a bit. (Yes more than normal). Put foot on brake, pushed it further into park, but still, it was not in park. It rolls forward and back when off, but when it's started it only goes up to 2nd gear. I started it by turning key to ON after playing with shifter, and using screwdriver under the hood making sure to stay on brake as not to start rolling when it start (because it's in gear of course) I can go into more detail, I'm just not a car guy at all so any questions you need answered I will try my best to answer in full detail. Its urgent, I have work this week, very limited funds, and advice is very much appreciated. Please help. Also, took off plastics covering all stuff underneath steering wheel, dash, etc. So everything is visible like steering column, shift stuff, etc. Thanks.

Hi there. What seems to have happen is the shifter inside the transmission has came off the main valve and is making the valve only go into 1st and 2nd. To fix this, drop the transmission oil pan and oil. Look up in the transmission over by where the shifter hooks up to the transmission. You will see a valve on the linkage. Check to see if the valve has moved. The shifter should be in the main valve 2nd port. It it is in the 1st port, then it got stuck and is binding up. You can fix this by loosening the nut to the shifter linkage inside the transmission and realigning the shifter linkage to the main valve. Then tighten the nut up and put the pan back on. Fill up the transmission with fluid and recheck the shifting. If you need further help diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist you with your shifting problem.

• Truck stuck in 2nd gear (I believe), won't turn over, can't afford to bring it anywhere. Need help fast