Q: Brakes squeak coming to a stop.

Hey, how are you? My mechanic recently installed two new brakes on my front end of my car and resurfaced those rotors. Now, there is a squeaking noise happening when I am completing a stop at low speeds. He tried to fix it once by redoing the job, then a second time he looked it over because it was doing it still, and now I have a third visit planned for next week to hopefully fix the problem. If he does not fix it, should I dispute the charge or let it go?

The front brake pads are squeaking from the metallic material in the pads when the pads were made at the factory are rubbing on the rotor surface causing the metal to metal squeal. If you do not like the noise then you will need to purchase non metallic pads like ceramic type pads and have the brake pads installed. There are also high quality metallic pads that are mad with smaller pieces of metal in the pad material and should make less squeaking or grinding noises that you get with base quality metallic pads. These higher quality pads will not be installed in most normal brake jobs unless you ask for them in advance and pay the extra costs to install them. The noise is not the shop or mechanics fault but the pads material quality.

3. Brakes squeak coming to a stop.