Q: Advice on buying the first car

asked by on May 04, 2016

I am 21 years old and I just got my driver's license. What car should I get--a used or a new one?

Unfortunately, I don’t want to jinx you, but the first car people get is the first car they wreck. I would say get a nice, used Toyota. You pay less, your insurance will be a lot cheaper. As time goes on, when you want a nicer car, you can upgrade to a fancier Toyota or whatever you want to buy. That’s what I advise people to do with cars. Because realize that you are 21, and your insurance is going to be pretty expensive to begin with. So if you get a used Toyota with a smaller engine, your insurance payment is going to be lower. If you get like, a new Mustang, your insurance payments are going to be through the roof just because you are 21. Anyhow, regardless of the car model that you end up with, I recommend test driving the vehicle and doing a pre-purchase inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr