Q: brake smell is burning

Hey I am just starting the last couple of days of getting a burning smell when I stop at a light from the brakes what do you think that could be the problem. I have not had not the brakes changed since I bought the truck at 76,000 miles. Do you think it is the brakes that have worn down completely and are now scraping the rotor badly.

Hi there. It really depends on what is causing the smell and what type of smell it is that would determine the source. If you notice brake fluid smell, it is usually caused by a brake line that is loose. If it’s brake dust, it might simply be excessive dust that has collected on the brake rotor. If you notice the pedal feels like it’s grinding or are hearing a grinding noise when you brake, then the pads are digging into the rotor. Regardless, anytime you experience symptoms like you described, it is best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a brake system inspection.

3. brake smell is burning