Q: Rear right tire wont turn

asked by on December 26, 2016

Tried to drive my truck this morning but the right rear tire doesn't move. It's been parked for 4 days. I live in winchester ca, a bit cold but no snow or ice. What can it be. ?

Hi There, You may have one of a couple of different issues going on here. You may possibly have a stuck brake caliper not allowing the wheel to turn or potentially a seized wheel bearing. Generally a wheel bearing will give some type of warning that will let you know something is not working properly. Bearing noise can sound a lot like a brake pad dragging or grinding. It can also sound like whirring, whining or humming depending on how much sound deadening material your vehicle has in it. Bearing noise will always be dependent on vehicle speed meaning as you speed up or slow down the noise should change frequency or loudness. Cornering may affect the noise from a damaged front wheel bearing, however the noise is not as noticeable when it is a rear wheel bearing issue.

Brake calipers can also stick for a variety of reasons. When brake fluid doesn’t flow correctly, the brakes will be slow or simply won’t return back to normal. This is due to the fluid not reaching the master cylinder. Over time the caliper pistons can wear down and become torn. The piston has a rubber boot around it and if this becomes torn or worn down, debris and rust can build up. This debris/rust can slow down the piston and by extension the caliper itself. I would suggest having a professional fro,m YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your truck to determine what may be causing this.