Q: My car has a radiator leak and I need to get it to my mechanic

asked by on

My car has a radiator leak and it has been sitting in my garage for two weeks. I need to drive it to my mechanic who is 9 miles away from where I live in LA, but I'm not sure if it will cause damage to the engine. I have coolant liquid in my car which I can refill it with as I go along the way and was just wondering if that's good enough to get my car there. Will that be ok for me to do?

My car has 155000 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.

If the radiator has to be replaced because it leaks, that replacement can be performed right at your location (without moving the car) by a mobile mechanic. If you desire that service, please request radiator replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you desire to bring the car to a mechanic, the practicality of that will simply depend on how large the leak is, although any leak will make it impossible for the cooling system to operate under pressure and thus the system could boil over even with a relatively small leak. Unfortunately, without seeing the car and understanding the exact extent of the leak, it is impossible to advise whether it is safe to drive and, if so, what sort of distance might be safe. Generally, if you have a known leak, the most prudent course is to either have the car towed or just simply avail yourself of YourMechanic’s mobile repair service which will save you money, too, because you don’t have to pay the considerable overhead associated with in-shop or dealer repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Was this answer helpful?
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details
  1. Home
  2. Questions
  3. My car has a radiator leak and I need to get it to my mechanic

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: plastic splash shield under car broken

Under engine shields keep water, dirt, and debris off of engine electrical components and also keep combustible debris from roadways, such as paper and plastic, from being drawn up into the engine compartment possibly contacting the hot exhaust manifold. So,...

Q: Loosing water after a 40 mile drive than heavy traffic for 20 min.at bumper to bumper

Any kind of water loss is usually not good. You cars performance completely depends on the cooling system. Your vehicle gets too hot, and the engine is destroyed. Do not run the vehicle out of coolant. There is not enough...

Q: heater works for about 20 mins then starts to blow cold air

Check for low coolant level and, if low, there is a possibility of air trapped in the system. Check for collapsed (or soft) hoses. Check your engine operating temperature to see if it is in the normal range of 195...

Related articles

P0052 OBD-II Trouble Code: HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0052 code definition HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1) What the...
How to Avoid Back Pain in a Car
If you have back problems, sitting in a car for an extended period of time can be excruciating. Even without back problems, you could experience discomfort and soreness from...
P2103 OBD-II Trouble Code: Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit High
P2103 means there is a fault with the throttle actuator control motor circuit, likely due to a defective electrical component or part.