Q: Switched to 4WD - did fine for a little then started making grinding noise. Now car won't move and the 4WD light is blinking.

My car started fine and as I was driving the roads started getting a little slippery (it just recently snowed), so I switched to 4WD. The car drove fine for about 100ft before it began decelerating and making a grinding noise in the front. I hit my warning lights, parked the car, and attempted to disengage the 4WD. Now the 4WD light is blinking and the grinding noise persists whenever I put it into reverse or drive (it stops making the noise in park and neutral). The car will not move forward.

Hi there. If the 4WD light is blinking and you hear a grinding noise when the transmission is in drive or reverse only, then the transfer case has either broken the fork inside the case or the syncronizer jammed up and is grinding the gears inside the case. If the noise is not coming from the transfer case, then the front differential could be damaged. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your 4WD not working issue.

• Switched to 4WD - did fine for a little then started making grinding noise. Now car won't move and the 4WD light is blinking.