Q: Why does my shifter get stuck in park in my 2013 Kia Forte

My 2013 Kia Forte EX will park for the night. Come back in the morning, shifter is stuck in Park. Took it to the dealership twice in two weeks, cannot find the problem. No dash lights, no brake/brake light problems, just locks in Park...have to use the manual shift-lock to unlock it. Has happened 4 times in about a month/month and a half. Still in warranty...but every time I take it to dealer, it works just fine.

Though this can happen for quite a few different reasons. Most of the time the issue is caused by the brake light switch so I always check to see if the brake lights are working when the issue comes up. If the brake lights work then the issue is in the shifter. It actually sounds like the shift solenoid is binding. It can be due to the fact that it may be defective, but most of the time it is caused by something being spilled into the console. The components would need to be taken apart when the issue is occurring to be able to properly diagnose it. You should have this done by a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, that can some to you to [diagnose why the shifter gets stuck in park] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-does-not-shift-from-park-to-drive-inspection