I have a 2000 ford escort. It won't go past 45 and cuts o...

Q: I have a 2000 ford escort. It won't go past 45 and cuts off when I come to a shop. Now when I place in gear it cuts off as well.

asked by on November 08, 2017

Yesterday omw to work my car ran fine. Then omw my home it started running rough. Now it won't go past 45 and when I come to a stop it cuts off.

Typically a mechanic will apply a real time automotive scanner to look at actual engine operating parameters. Your issue could be as simple as a failing fuel pump, or ignition coil, although there are a couple key sensors that can cause this "loss of power" as well. If you request an engine loss of power diagnostic, a certified mechanic can diagnose and resolve the issue right at your location. To give you an initial idea, although there are many possibilities, a partial list would include oxygen sensors, fuel pump and/or filter, vacuum leaks, ignition system malfunctions, bad valve timing if the timing belt or chain is worn or skipped, blocked exhaust (e.g., catalytic converter fails or becomes clogged), mass airflow sensor, throttle position sensor, and so forth. Whatever the cause, if you request the engine loss of power diagnostic, the certified mechanic will get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.