Q: Engine is sputtering

The Check Engine light is flashing, and the engine is sputtering.

Hi, the Check Engine Light flashing commonly indicates a misfire in the engine. The most common cause of an engine misfire on this particular car would be the ignition coil. The ignition coil can generate an output voltage on the order of 30,000 volts. This is a sufficient voltage to produce arcs which jump an air gap of the spark plug causing the cylinder to combust. When they go bad they usually crack on the outside housing and the secondary winding burns out. It is also possible a fuel injector or something else could be bad. I would recommend having a technician from YourMechanic come out and diagnose the Check Engine Light codes and replace any parts as needed.

3. Engine is sputtering