Q: I was driving with the handbrake up and now when push the accelerate on the car, the car does not move it just revs.

asked by on November 30, 2016

I've been driving with the handbrake up recently. All of a sudden when I start to drive normally (handbrake down) my car stops moving when I step on the accelerator and oil is now leaking from the bottom of my car. What is wrong with my car ?

Hi there. The problem is the parking brake is stuck on and the brake shoes or pads in the rear are worn out making the wheel cylinder or piston in the caliper move beyond the seal causing the brakes to leak out the oil. Check the rear brakes and see where the oil is leaking from. I recommend replacing the rear shoes or pads and resurfacing or replacing the drums or rotors. It depends on what you have for a braking system (drum or rotor) for the rear. If you need further assistance with your parking brake staying engaged, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr