Q: I tried to crank it but it wont start and the lights dim when trying to crank it

I noticed in my car that when i begin to crank it, it has a whining nose like it doesnt wont to crank. When i start it the lights dim. Now the car isnt starting at all.

Starting systems are typically very simple. For the most part, you will be concerned with the battery and the starter. It sounds like your battery is dead. I would first attempt to jump start it.

If using another car to jump start your vehicle: attach the red (positive) terminal of the vehicle that is running to the jumper cable. Then hook the black (negative) terminal to the jumper cable. Connect the other end of the cables to the red (positive) and then black (negative) terminals on the dead vehicle and then attempt to start your vehicle.

If this doesn’t work, you will want to turn your attention to the starter. The starter can be bench tested, but these tests can give you false positives. If the issues is not related to the battery or the starter, you will want to look into the ignition. The neutral safety switch can cause starting issues as well. But it is highly likely this is a dead battery or a bad starter. If you would like to have this problem taken care of for you, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and guide your through repairs.

• I tried to crank it but it wont start and the lights dim when trying to crank it