Q: 2012 Buick Verano steering feels like it is locking up.

asked by on August 31, 2016

When I am on long trips, the steering sometimes feels like it wants to lock up. This is my 2nd Verano and I had traded in the first one for this same reason. Looks like the didn’t fix the problem in this model! On the first one, I had to wait a whole month for the dealership to get parts in, so I had traded it in. While driving on the interstate, when I’m trying to stay in a lane and barely moving the steering wheel, it feels as though it might lock up. It can be a stressful feeling because it can turn too much and might cause an accident. What can be done to fix this?

Hey there, I’m sorry to hear about the problems with your 2012 Buick Verano. This vehicle should have an electronic power steering system, which can be a problem when there are faulty electrical connections, worn out wiring, etc. I would suggest having the power steering motor tested to check for any issues relating to connections or faulty wiring. To have this taken care of, consider YourMechanic, as a certified expert will be able to come to your home or office to diagnose the steering problem.