Q: Car ticking and smoking.

I was driving last night and as I turned a corner I heard a pop. The engine then started ticking and smoking a little.

A: The 4.0 L engine in these years were known ...

The 4.0 L engine in these years were known to have a lot of issues with the timing chain guides coming apart and causing lout ticking noises from the timing chains. You would have to have major engine timing chain and guides replaced. These engines also have issues with major coolant leaks from thermostat and overflow bottles. My recommendations are to have a qualified technician look and your problem and diagnose it before making any decisions.