Q: Does a 64 belair v6 230cl engine have a pushrod inside to activate the fuel pump? Dont see it in mine only see the cam really clos

I have a 64 chevy belair v6 230cl engine,i took my fuel pump off and didnt see the push rod in the hole,i do how ever see the cam thats inside of there really close to were the back of my fuel pump would go,do i need to have a push rod in there to activate my mechanical fuel pump or will it work right off the cam thats already inthere? The last owner was running it without the push rod and i just want to makesure if i will need it or not? Sience i have a v6 i thought its not nesicerlly to have a pushrod like the v8,Thanks

Hi there. Although most mechanical fuel pumps work off a push rod driven system, not all of them do. There are two different systems, one that is push rod driven (which typically has a short activation rod where the push rod connects) and a cam lobe driven system (this will have a longer activation rod). If the mechanical pump you take out has a longer rod than normal, you have the cam driven type; which is why there is no push rod there.

3. Does a 64 belair v6 230cl engine have a pushrod inside to activate the fuel pump? Dont see it in mine only see the cam really clos