Q: Camshaft sensor issue on a '96 Tahoe

96 Tahoe 5.7 350. I have a check engine light on so I took it to Advance Auto. I came up cam shaft sensor. Is it serious or something as simple as putting a new sensor. The truck starts and drives just fine.

The first thing I’d advise doing is to go get yourself a sensor and put it on. A lot of times the sensors go bad, or when you pull it out, sometimes they get contaminated with oil so I’d start there.

If that didn’t fix the problem, then it could be wiring to the cam shaft sensor is bad. It could be the computer itself has a problem or it could even be that the timing chain is somewhat worn. Because when the timing chains wear, they stretch and then the sensor is going to get bad data to the computer. Then the computer would play with the sensor, saying there is a problem with the crank shaft sensor, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that is the sensor itself.

But you always start with the basic things like checking out the sensor and changing it. If it gets beyond you and the sensor doesn’t fix it, you can get in touch professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They would be able to thoroughly diagnose the Check Engine Light with their high-level dealer scanner and make any repairs that are necessary.