Q: What does it mean if the Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on?

What does it mean if the Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on?

The Check Engine light is actually called a Malfunction Indicator Lamp. It’s designed to come on when there’s a problem with any component in your emissions system. That covers a wide range of sensors and other equipment on your engine, as well as most of your exhaust and fuel systems. Here’s what you need to know:

1. If the light is on and stays solid, you need to have your car inspected and the code pulled.

2. If the light comes on and flashes, it means there’s a misfire in the engine and you need to pull over and park. Make sure there are no flammable materials under the car. Let the engine cool off for at least 10 minutes before turning the engine back on. Have the car inspected immediately.

3. What does it mean if the Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on?