Q: Overheating

asked by on November 22, 2016

Overheating check engine light came on and not shifting properly and heater is not warm

Hello. Heater failure and transmission issues are signaling that the cooling system is having a complete meltdown. Both of these systems depend on the cooling system to work correctly. Typically when the entire system is struggling there is a severe leak leading to a lack of fluid, a failed thermostat, a clog, or failed water pump causing a lack of circulation. The first step is to check the level of coolant in the radiator and overflow reservoir. If the level is low, then there is a leak or the engine is consuming the coolant. If the coolant is full, you will want to turn your attention to testing the water pump, thermostat, and possibly flushing out a clog. The only way to tell why the vehicle is overheating is to test each of these components individually.