Q: Overheating

Overheating check engine light came on and not shifting properly and heater is not warm

A: Hello. Heater failure and transmission issu...

Hello. Heater failure and transmission issues are signaling that the cooling system is having a complete meltdown. Both of these systems depend on the cooling system to work correctly. Typically when the entire system is struggling there is a severe leak leading to a lack of fluid, a failed thermostat, a clog, or failed water pump causing a lack of circulation. The first step is to check the level of coolant in the radiator and overflow reservoir. If the level is low, then there is a leak or the engine is consuming the coolant. If the coolant is full, you will want to turn your attention to testing the water pump, thermostat, and possibly flushing out a clog. The only way to tell why the vehicle is overheating is to test each of these components individually.