Q: Car struggles to start. Won't turn over.

asked by on December 21, 2015

My car is struggling to start. It tries to turn over, but will not all the way.

You should have a technician look at the car to determine if it is an electrical or a fuel problem. You will need to remove the spark plug and get a spark plug tool to test for spark when you turn the motor over. If you have no spark then I would look at the coil. Make sure it is getting power when the car is turned on and test the primary and secondary winding on the coil the primary should be around 300ohms and secondary should be 9k ohms. If it is less than that it is a bad coil. I would also replace the cap and rotor on the distributor. If the coil is good then you need a test light and test the igniter.