Q: Car intermittently won't start

And when I drive to work in the evening no problems but as I get off work try to start the car turns over but want start this is the third time this happen but let the car sit the next morning car will start right away ... when the car want start it seems like it's not getting a spark but let it sit over night the next morning car will start right away..... please help me the car runs very good when running ... my friend told me to change the fuel filter haven't done yet I think every thing is original on car it has 141,000 miles ... thank you

My car has an automatic transmission. Grand Am 2001

Hi there. An intermittent no start condition, can be difficult to diagnose. Replacing the fuel filter would not hurt anything, especially if it hasn’t been replaced in the last 30,000 miles. Diagnostic procedures should be performed, at the time of no start, to confirm whether there is a loss of fuel, of spark or both.

Assuming the Check Engine Light is not coming on, leads me to believe the ECM (engine control module)/computer is not recognizing the fault. There are many possibilities for a no start condition: a faulty ignition switch, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, ignition coil, ignition module, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor.

Replacing components without diagnoses can be expensive and time consuming without resolution. I recommend having your vehicle’s intermittent no start diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, so that this can be repaired correctly.

3. Car intermittently won't start