Q: My 2008 650i is sputtering and the check engine light is on.

asked by on March 04, 2017

Check engine light and my car is sputtering

Hi there. If the engine light is on and the engine is sputtering, then you will want to check the following areas to locate the source.

Check:

• There could be a leak in the exhaust system
  • The seals or gaskets on the engine could be worn or damaged
  • The catalytic converter may have failed
  • One or more oxygen sensors could have stopped working
  • The fuel injectors could be dirty or damaged to not atomize the fuel properly
  • The spark plugs could be fouled out or rusty
  • The Mass Air Flow sensor could be dirty or damaged
  • The engine could have a vacuum leak on the intake or the brake booster

If you need further assistance with your engine sputtering and the check engine light being on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.