Hi there. If the engine light is on and the engine is sputtering, then you will want to check the following areas to locate the source.
- There could be a leak in the exhaust system
- The seals or gaskets on the engine could be worn or damaged
- The catalytic converter may have failed
- One or more oxygen sensors could have stopped working
- The fuel injectors could be dirty or damaged to not atomize the fuel properly
- The spark plugs could be fouled out or rusty
- The Mass Air Flow sensor could be dirty or damaged
- The engine could have a vacuum leak on the intake or the brake booster
If you need further assistance with your engine sputtering and the check engine light being on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.