Q: My 2008 650i is sputtering and the check engine light is on.

asked by on March 04, 2017

Check engine light and my car is sputtering

Engine is sputtering Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote
Check Engine Light is on Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. If the engine light is on and the engine is sputtering, then you will want to check the following areas to locate the source.

Check:

• There could be a leak in the exhaust system
  • The seals or gaskets on the engine could be worn or damaged
  • The catalytic converter may have failed
  • One or more oxygen sensors could have stopped working
  • The fuel injectors could be dirty or damaged to not atomize the fuel properly
  • The spark plugs could be fouled out or rusty
  • The Mass Air Flow sensor could be dirty or damaged
  • The engine could have a vacuum leak on the intake or the brake booster

If you need further assistance with your engine sputtering and the check engine light being on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr