Q: Car not going into gear

My car starts, but it doesn't move forward or backward.

Hello. The two things that I would first recommend evaluating in relation to your concern are the brakes and the transmission pressure control solenoid. The brakes may be locked in a position that will not allow the car to move. This is a pretty common problem on vehicles that are 10 years and older. Though a more common problem for your particular vehicle is a faulty transmission pressure control solenoid. However you didn’t state wether you have an automatic or manual but I’m going to assume automatic because more of those were manufactured. The solenoid specifies the amount of pressurized fluid the transmission needs to operate. If the solenoid fails, a common symptom is a car becoming unable to move.

If you have the manual version, I believe the problem would lie in the transmission itself or the shift linkages because only automatics use the pressure control solenoid. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose why your vehicle cannot move and replace any failing parts.

3. Car not going into gear