Q: Van loses power, engine misfires - 1990 Volkswagen Vanagon

After driving the van for about two miles, it starts losing power. At that point, the engine begins misfiring as well. Then I have to pull over and restart the van and the same thing happens after about two miles, less or more. What do you think is causing this?

A: First, you should check out normal tune-up ...

First, you should check out normal tune-up items (plugs, wires, rotor & cap, etc.), then check ground straps from the engine to the chassis. Next, check the fuel injection system, since the air flow meter or coolant temperature sensor (the one for the injection) may be faulty and causing the loss of power. If you would like to have this checked for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the loss of power firsthand for a more precise diagnosis.