Q: What should I do if my electronic key doesn’t work with the car?

What should I do if my electronic key doesn’t work with the car?

Your car’s smart key system allows you to lock and unlock the doors, and even crank the engine without having to use a physical key or even press a button on the remote. However, there may be times when the electronic key doesn’t communicate with the car. For instance, if the battery in the electronic key dies, you won’t be able to use it. Here’s what you should do:

• Use the mechanical key insert to lock and unlock your doors.

• Touch the side of the electronic key with the automaker’s logo to the start/stop button, then press the button within five seconds to crank the engine (note that this will not work if any doors are open).

If the electronic key has stopped communicating with the car, chances are good that the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. If you replace the battery and it still doesn’t work, have the car inspected immediately.

3. What should I do if my electronic key doesn’t work with the car?