Q: In traffic when accelerating, engine hits over-rev protection

My truck has a 318 motor and a 727 transmission. I have adjusted the kickdown band screws and the throttle position rod. The kickdown band screws won’t torque to 72 in. lbs. It freely turns by hand until all the threads are covered. I also replaced the filter. It is slip shifting into 3rd under light throttle, but not badly. When I am driving into traffic and accelerate or when driving up a hill, the engine will hit over-rev protection and I have to let off in order to shift into 3rd gear. When I did the adjustments, some of the problems were corrected, but it still just isn't right. What do you advise that I do next to get my truck in proper performance?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1989 Dodge Ramcharger. Check the transmission fluid to be sure the transmission is not being starved of fluid while operating. Otherwise it sounds like there is trouble in the transmission valve body and this must be serviced by a professional. Have a technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to refill the transmission fluid if necessary.