Q: The shift stick button is stuck can't get it out of park? 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

The shift stick button is stuck can't get it out of park?

Hi there - this problem sounds like the shifter interlock mechanism is malfunctioning. There can be, however a number of pieces to this simple-sounding mechanism. The electrical relay that physically releases the interlock may not be working (fuse, or failure of the relay), the brake switch may have failed (brake must be detected as "depressed" by the circuit, or, in some cases, the transmission may not be recognized as being in Park. The interlock override button (labeled "Shift Lock Release" on the console) allows you to physically release the interlock mechanism by pressing the shift interlock release and moving the shifter simultaneously, so that you can shift out of Park should the solenoid fail. I recommend an shifter inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. The shift stick button is stuck can't get it out of park? 2001 Pontiac Grand Am