Q: Shaking while stopped, difficult acceleration, sudden takeoff

My car runs fine generally. However, the other day, there was a lot of shaking when I stop the car. It would shake for a few seconds, then stop, then shake again and so on, the whole time the car is stopped. The shaking was very noticeable. Afer that, I had difficulty accelerating but the car took off suddenly. What could be cuasing this? What do I check first? Thanks.

It sounds like you may be experiencing an engine misfire. When a cylinder in your engine is misfiring, it will throw off the balance of the running engine. As a result, vibrations can be felt throughout the vehicle. This would also explain your trouble accelerating.

If the engine only has one cylinder misfiring, sometimes at higher RPMs, it will not be as noticeable and the engine may seem to run normally until lower RPMs or speeds are reached. This is another reason that your vehicle will accelerate suddenly after a moment of pressing on the gas pedal.

I would recommend having your vehicle scanned with an OBD-II scanner by a professional to check for a misfire code. If a misfire code exists, have your spark plugs and ignition coils inspected in order to get a proper diagnosis for your car’s acceleration issue.