Q: Why is my car making this rattling noise?

asked by on February 03, 2017

A few days ago, my car started making this humming rattling type noise and it sounds like it's directly underneath the engine and around the belts. It will make fhe noise when in neutral and driving around town, but I don't hear it when I either turn my wheels or am driving on the free way. I've noticed too that if I don't drive the car for a while (I.e. A 12 hour period), it won't make the noise at first but start doing so maybe about 30 seconds after I turn on the car. Just trying to get an idea of what issue this could be and likely range of cost.

Hi there. The rattling noise could be the drive belt or pulley that is loose when not under a load. When turning the wheels or on highway driving conditions, the noise may not be there for the engine is under a load. Try turning on the air conditioner and see if the noise goes away. If so, then the tensioner could have a weak spring.

Billing question was sent to CS for the cost of diagnosing a rattling noise on the engine and the cost of replacing the parts after the diagnosis of a 2000 Toyota Corolla with a L4-1.8L engine.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr