Q: What does the Service Engine Soon Light mean on the dash?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the Service Engine Soon Light mean on the dash?

The Service Engine Soon Light is tied into your car’s Emissions system, which includes a broad range of sensors and components in the engine, your Fuel system, and the Emissions system.

When you first crank the car, the Service Engine Soon Light should turn on briefly. It will go off after a few seconds. If it does not go off, it means there’s a malfunction code stored in the computer that needs to be checked by a professional. If it flashes while you’re driving, it means there has been a misfire and you need to pull over and turn the engine off. Start the engine again, and if the light does not flash (it’s off or stays solid), then you should drive the car and have it inspected. If it flashes again, you should tow the car.

Tip

During misfire situations, extreme heat can occur. Don’t park over flammable materials or a fire may start.