Q: Heater stopped working, where’s the problem?

My 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 had just passed the 35,000 mile mark when the heater started acting up. First it sounded unusually loud, then the air stopped blowing out with as much pressure. Now the Heater and AC are near useless and the defrosters don’t defrost the windshield! This is a serious issue and the truck is not that old. How can I solve this issue?

A: The best solution for this issue is to repl...

The best solution for this issue is to replace your Heater, Vent and A/C (HVAC) housing. A little explanation is needed here. Inside that housing are several doors that direct airflow, either through the heater core or evaporator, as well as directing that heated or cooled air to the dashboard, defroster, floor or combination. There is also the recirculation door that allows fresh air in from the outside or closes and pulls air from the passenger side floor area. These doors and the housing are made of plastic and have a high failure rate. There is no recall from Dodge, but many shops are equipped to handle the repair which is time consuming because the entire dashboard must be removed in order to replace the housing.