Q: Honda Accord air filters and oil additives

Is there ever a time when high-flow air filter by K&N is a good idea for a daily driver like a Honda Accord, similar are oil additives like Dura Lube Slick 50 a good idea?

A: First to talk about air filters--K&N ai...

First to talk about air filters--K&N air filters are lubricated air filters. They have an element in them, but it’s got oils in it. So, they do clean quite well and they flow a little bit better. If you have what’s called the hot-wire MAF sensor on your car, unfortunately, when the guys are cleaning them, they put too much oil. The oil can ruin the MAF sensor.

Now, I don’t advise you, on any of your car, to use a hot-wire MAF sensor for that reason. But, they are good filters otherwise. If you don’t have a MAF sensor and it’s got a hot wire in it, go ahead and use it.

Now, oil additives, it’s kind of funny you’ve mentioned Slick Fifty--a friend of mine who was one of the executives of vice-presidents years ago, the company got bought out years ago --it was an oil head made of Teflon, actually a good work to some extent. But, if you use normal oil, and change your oil frequently, like you should in a normal car, you don’t really need to put any additives in it. But if you have an old joker that burns some oil on stuff--lot of times those oil additives do work ok. I personally use the Lucas oil additive when I have customers with worn-out engines that need to make them last a little bit longer.