Q: Engine surges when stopped in traffic, high RPMs

asked by on September 14, 2016

I've been having engine issues with my car, for which I took it to the dealer several times. Current mileage is 12,000 miles. The engine would surge when I stop the car at the traffic light for example. At that moment, I would have to floor the brake so as to prevent the car from jerking forward. This issue occurred several times already, completely at random. Once when this happened at the stop sign, the tachometer was showing 2400 RPM. This engine surge would sometimes occur multiple times during the same drive. What might be causing this?

Hi there. I do not have any information on this problem of the engine accelerating on its own. If the dealer has not duplicated the issue, then leave it for and extended test drive or duplicate it for them with a mechanic or manager with you. They will not attempt to repair something if they cannot duplicate it. If you feel unsafe to drive it, then request to leave it at the dealer until they find the problem since this is a very dangerous issue. If you would like to have an independent mechanic examine the problem, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to the car’s location to inspect the surging problem and guide you with the correct repair.